3 Things You Must Have Before Getting Married

by Paul Konrardy

Getting married? Whether it’s a big wedding, quiet ceremony or you’re at the courthouse; you’ll need three things:

1. Marriage License

Usually, you may apply for a marriage license at any county clerk’s office in the state where you want to be married. NOTE: You and your partner must apply together and in person.

  1. There may be a small fee for your license.
  2. You may have to wait a few days before it is issued and some states require a longer waiting period.
  3. In some circumstances, you must apply in the county or town where you intend to be married, this depends on state law.
  4. You will each probably need to bring the following:
    • photo ID
    • certified copies of your birth certificates
    • parental consent, if underage
    • death certificate, if widowed
    • divorce decree, if divorced
    • blood-test results, if required

WHN TIP – Expiration Date
In some states, marriage licenses have expiration dates, meaning you have to “use it” – (i.e., get married) before a the expiration date. Don’t apply for yours too early.

2. Marriage Certificate

A marriage certificate is a document that proves you are married. Most states require that the marriage certificate is signed after the ceremony by:

  1. both spouses
  2. the person who officiated the ceremony
  3. one or two witnesses

After the ceremony, your officiant will send your signed license to the marriage license bureau (or to the county clerk, recorder or registrar, depending on where you live).

You should receive a certified copy for your own files within a few weeks, depending on your state.

3. Officiant

Selecting an official to conduct your ceremony is up to you and your partner.

  1. If you would like the marriage to be legal, be sure to select someone who is authorized by the state and county where you want to get married.
  2. Religious ceremonies must be conducted by a clergy member (i.e., priest, minister or rabbi).
  3. For non-religious or civil ceremonies, the ceremony must be performed by someone who has the legal authority to perform marriages (a judge, justice of the peace or court clerk, etc.).
  4. Native American weddings may be performed by a tribal chief or by another official as designated by the tribe.

WHN TIP – Cost-Savers
Is your wedding becoming a budget-buster? Cut your costs with these money-saving tips from other brides:

WHN TIP – Honeymoons!
With all of the excitement surrounding the planning of your marriage, don’t forget to prepare for your honeymoon. Download our Travel Packing Checklist, then fill it out and save to the cloud.

Want more help with your travel plans? Check our Travel section!

WHN TIP – Name Changes and Honeymoons
If traveling on your honeymoon, your passport name must be the same as the name on your travel documents and tickets. Consider using your “pre-married name” on your honeymoon and wait to change your name until you return home. If you do change your name beforehand, bring along documented proof of your former name (old driver’s license) and your new name (marriage certificate).


The information provided here is not meant to be a substitute for professional advice. These tips are from lawyers, insurance agents and people who have shared real-life advice; always check with a lawyer or appropriate professional you trust before making any legal decisions.

Thank You …

A special thank you to the newlyweds, long-married couples and families, industry professionals, lawyers, and insurance agents who gave us their time, insight and real-life advice.

Photo Credit: Pexels

Related Posts