Our thoughts go out to everyone impacted and recovering from Hurricane Ida. Below are articles with advice from hurricane survivors – including folks from Hurricane Katrina. If you need this info – or know someone who might – share the links.
- Lessons from Katrina
- This includes an interview with a jazz pianist who got through Katrina and has advice on how to document what was lost during the storm.
- Six Steps to Applying for FEMA Assistance
- Good ideas for working with FEMA – including how to identify an inspector, appealing unfavorable decisions, and how to use FEMA funds you may receive.
- Four Steps to Rebuilding and Renovating a Damaged Home
- Lots of info to review here – rebuilding factors, estimates, contractors, and more – and ideas of how to manage your expectations for timing, money and more.
- Handy Checklist
- Records Recovery: A list of critical records you’ll need as part of your recovery. This can be printed in case power is in short supply.
Check out our natural disaster section – loads of advice from real folks around the country who have lived through disasters and are sharing what they’ve learned.
Photo by John Middelkoop on Unsplash