Traveling abroad? The following links and resources can help keep you safe while overseas.
WHN TIP – Check Health Notices: Going out of the country? Then check the CDC’s Travel Health Notices page to learn about current health issues related to specific international destinations.
U.S. Government Resources
Travel.State.Gov – International Travel
A comprehensive website with information about your destination country as well as general safety and security information. The site includes a downloadable Traveler’s Checklist PDF card, and information about applying for U.S. passports and visas for non-U.S. citizens to enter the U.S. (Go here to report a lost or stolen U.S. passport.)
- Click here for a comprehensive traveler’s checklist of what to consider and prepare before you go.
- Click here destination-specific travel advisories and here for a searchable list of destination-specific information, including the need for a visa.
- Click here for detailed information for travelers with special considerations, such as students, women, journalists and LGBTI travelers.
- Click here for information about handling major life events while abroad and here for dealing with emergencies while overseas.
- Click here for information about dealing with medical emergencies and illnesses while abroad.
- Click here to find out more about the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) – a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. (Click here for a list of embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions abroad.)
- Click here for information about driving and road safety abroad. (To obtain an International Driving Permit, visit AAA or the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA).)
- Click here for Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad information.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection Department (CBP)
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is one of the world’s largest law enforcement organizations and is charged with keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the U.S. while facilitating lawful international travel and trade.
- Click here for information for U.S. citizens returning to the U.S.
- Click here for the downloadable Form 6059B Customs Declaration. The form can be be filled out prior to or during your travel, and then printed and taken with you as your official Customs Declaration.
- Click here for information about the Trusted Traveler Programs for frequent travelers or commercial truck drivers.
U.S. Department of the Treasury – Bureau of the Fiscal Service
Treasury Reporting Rates of Exchange has a list of foreign exchange rates from the U.S. Department of Treasury.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
CDC works 24/7 to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S.
- Go to the Traveler’s Health section for country-specific health information. (Go to the travel health notices page to see the full list of travel notices.)
- Click here for information about specific medical conditions that can be affected by air travel.
- Click here for information on packing a Travel Health Kit
United States Department of Agriculture – Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is a multi-faceted Agency with a broad mission area that supports the overall mission of USDA, which is to protect and promote food, agriculture, natural resources and related issues.
- Click here for information about transporting a pet to and from the U.S.
American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH)
The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, founded in 1903, is the largest international scientific organization of experts dedicated to reducing the worldwide burden of tropical infectious diseases and improving global health.
- Click here for the ASTMH’s Clinical Consultants Directory: a list of physicians who offer clinical consultative service in Tropical Medicine, Medical Parasitology and Travelers’ Health.
International Society of Travel Medicine
The International Society of Travel Medicine (ISTM) promotes healthy, safe and responsible travel of all people crossing international borders.
- Click here for the ISTM Global Clinic Directory: a database of ISTM members and their Travel Clinics around the world.
Photo Credit: Chuttersnap