Theft is a crime of opportunity. leaving your dorm room doors and windows unlocked gives a thief the chance to steal anything!
WHN TIP – Top Stolen Items: The most popular items to be stolen on campus include small and portable electronics – cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, mobile devices.
- Know What You Have
- Write down the serial number, make and model of your electronic devices, plus when/where you bought it and what it costs. (Tip: save your receipts for back-up!)
- Videotape It
- Take videotapes or photos of your dorm room, apartment and electronic devices. It’s easier to show videos or photographs to police and insurance companies after a theft, fire or natural disaster. (Tip: if videoing, don’t forget the dialogue: details about the items such as cost, date purchased, etc.)
- Use Common Sense
- Lock doors and windows even if you’re going down the hall to visit a friend or to do laundry.
- Lock doors and windows before going to sleep.
- Don’t leave items unattended in the library, dining hall, lobby, study rooms, etc.
- Get to Know Your Neighbors
- Chances are you don’t know everyone in your building. Acquaint yourself with neighbors and the people on your floor.
- If someone looks suspicious or is acting suspicious, call campus police or security. Trust your gut – chances are you’re probably right.
- Plan Ahead
Photo Credit: Utility_Inc