After a fire, you may have a meeting or interview with a fire chief, fire marshal and/or arson investigator. The questions they ask will help the fire department decide the cause of the fire.
The cause of the fire may also impact your insurance claim.
WHN TIP – Get Some Advice: You may want to talk to your insurance agent or legal representative before the interview.
Possible Interview Questions
- Who was at home when the fire began?
- If no one was at home, when did the last person leave the home?
- What time did you return home?
- How long did you wait to call 9-1-1?
- Were there any electrical problems?
- Did the smoke detectors go off?
- Did the carbon monoxide detectors go off?
- Did any alarm or security devices go off?
- Was there lightning?
- Were the pets removed from the area after the fire?
- What valuables are still in your home?
- Does anyone in your household smoke?
- Was anyone smoking at the time of the fire?
- Was anyone using matches, lighters or candles?
- Were you cooking?
- What appliances were in use (dryer, oven, computer, etc.)?
- Had you been painting, staining or cleaning? (Rags can self-combust.)
- Is your home for sale?
Keep in mind you may be asked different or additional questions.