Top 11 Winter Weather Advisories and Warnings
Be safe, be smart! Stay alert to weather signs when the following advisories, watches or warnings are issued.
- SNOW ADVISORY: three to five (3–5) inches of snow is expected to fall.
- BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY: visibility is 1/4 mile or less.
- WIND CHILL ADVISORY: wind chill values are expected to be minus 35 F to minus 50 F.
- WIND CHILL WARNING: wind chill values are expected to be minus 50 F or lower.
- FREEZING RAIN / FREEZING DRIZZLE ADVISORY: driving conditions are hazardous and power lines and tree branches could become heavy and break due to freezing rain.
- ICE STORM WARNING: freezing rain/drizzle is occurring with an expected accumulation of either 1/4 inch or more of ice or 1/2 inch of sleet.
- WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY: cold, ice and snow are expected to cause significant inconveniences and may be hazardous. The greatest hazard is often to motorists.
- WINTER STORM WATCH: a winter storm is possible in your area within the next day or two.
- WINTER STORM WARNING: a winter storm is headed for your area, with severe weather conditions beginning or about to begin. Prepare for low wind chill values, heavy snow and strong winds.
- BLIZZARD WARNING: heavy snow and strong winds are expected to produce a blinding snow, near zero visibility, deep drifts and life-threatening wind chill.
- HEAVY SNOW WARNING: six (6) or more inches of snow is expected in a 12-hour period.
For more information, check out the National Weather Service’s page on Winter Weather Warnings, Watches and Advisories.