Senior Living Options: What to Ask About Costs and Coverages
Checking out senior living facilities?
Here’s a quick list of questions to ask about the costs and coverages. For more information, read our 6 Senior Living Services Options.
- Is there an entrance fee?
- How much is it?
- Is it refundable, and if so, under what circumstances?
- What is the cost of a private room?
- Semi-private room?
- What is the facility’s bed-hold policy if the resident is temporarily hospitalized? What is the price-per-day and how long can the bed be held?
- Is there a choice of furnished and unfurnished rooms? Do unfurnished rooms cost less?
- Can residents have their own phone line and Internet connection? Is this included in the fee or an extra fee?
Services and Activities
- What services are included in the base rate?
- What services are at an additional cost?
- What activities are free and what activities involve a cost?
- Can family members eat in the dining room with the residents? Are reservations needed? What is the cost per meal?
- Do you have financial assistance available?
- How is the facility paid—monthly, longer term?
- If the arrangement needs to be terminated, will any money be refunded? Under what circumstances?
WHN TIP – VA Help: If the senior is a veteran, the Veteran’s Administration may have some resources you can use.
WHN TIP – Medicare/Medicaid: Learn about Medicare coverage here and Medicaid coverage here. For more information, read What are my other long-term care choices? and download Medicare’s Your Guide to Choosing a Nursing Home.)
The information provided here is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical or legal advice. These tips are from doctors, nurses and people who have shared real-life advice; always check with a doctor, lawyer or appropriate professional you trust before making any legal or healthcare- related decisions.
Thank You …
A special thank you to the industry professionals, lawyers, insurance agents, doctors, nurses, seniors and families who gave us their time, insight and real-life advice.