5 Tips for Dealing With Mosquitoes
Large amounts of pooled water after a flood or other natural disaster could lead to an increase in mosquito populations. The majority of these mosquitoes will be pests and will not carry communicable diseases.
Here are some mosquito facts and prevention tips:
- Mosquitoes are most active at sunrise and sunset
- Local, state, and federal health authorities will be actively working to control the spread of any mosquito born diseases.
- For protection from mosquitoes, use screens on dwellings and wear long-sleeved and long-legged clothing.
- Apply DEET, following all the instructions. Insect repellents containing DEET are very effective.
DEET is approved for use on children with no age restriction. Products containing DEET are available at retail outlets and local and state health departments.
- To control mosquito populations, drain all standing water left in containers around your home.