21 Tips for Preventing Carjacking
“Carjacking” is stealing a car by threat or use of force. Here are some helpful tips to deter car theft.
Walking to Your Car
- Have your keys out in your hand, ready to enter your car.
- Walk confidently and with a purpose. Pay attention.
- If possible, walk with someone else.
- When approaching your car, be aware of your surroundings. If suspicious persons are near your car, walk past and go back to a safe area.
- Check the exterior of your car, look inside the car and look for anyone near your car.
- Check to see if the doors are ajar or windows open. Don’t enter your car if this is the case, instead, call for help.
- Once in your car, lock all doors and close all windows.
- If approached by a stranger after you are in your car, do not open a door or window – simply drive away. Feel free to sound your horn if you feel threatened.
- Anybody can be a target. Carjackers look for targets of opportunity.
- Try not to travel alone.
- Plan your route ahead of time and avoid areas that concern you.
- Make sure you have enough gas for your trip or plan on where to stop to fill up.
- Put all packages and bags in your trunk or on the floor, out of sight.
- Lock your doors and windows.
- Check all your mirrors often while driving.
- Stay alert especially when stopped.
- Carjackings often happen at stoplights and stop signs. When stopped in traffic, allow enough room to maneuver between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Do not open car doors or windows for strangers.
- If someone attempts to stop you, or “bumps” your car and causes an accident where you do not believe it is safe to stop, drive to a well-populated area, such as an occupied gas station, shopping mall entrance, restaurant, police station, etc.
- If you believe you are being followed, drive to a well-populated area, such as an occupied gas station, shopping mall entrance, restaurant, police station, etc. Call the police if necessary.
- Keep your car in good repair and full of gas.
WHN TIP – Advice from Experts: Listen to this podcast for more tips!