Skip to content
Car Theft —8 Prevention Tips While Traveling
- If you drive with your windows open, keep personal items off the seat and out of reach.
- Keep loose change in an enclosed change holder or an ashtray you can close.
- If you drive with the roof down or sunroof open, close them before parking.
- Shopping? Buy the most valuable items last, if possible, and store them in the trunk.
- If that isn’t possible, cover the items with a blanket or coat to keep them out of view.
- Don’t leave items on the seat.
- Stopping for the night? Don’t move valuable items from inside your car to the trunk; someone could be watching. Make the switch before you arrive.
- Park your car where it will be most visible. If at night, park it in a well-lit area.
- If you park your car in an attended lot, leave only the ignition or valet key (the latter will not open the trunk or rear seat trunk access).
- After returning to your car, check the tires, spare and battery to make sure they are the originals.
- Contact the local police station and ask about car theft in your area, how often it happens and what you can do to protect yourself.
WHN TIP – Advice from Experts: Listen to this podcast for more tips!