Replacing Valuable Documents

Here is contact information for replacing documents and records that have been damaged, destroyed or lost.

Click here (pdf) for a print out of this form.



Driver's license, Auto registration

Department of Motor Vehicles

Bank books (checking, savings, etc.)

Your bank, as soon as possible

Insurance policies

Your insurance agent

Military discharge papers

Department of Veterans Affairs


Passport service

Birth, death and marriage certificates

Bureau of Records in the appropriate state

Divorce papers

Circuit court where decree was issued

Social Security or Medicare cards

Social Security Adminstration or Medicare info

Credit cards

The issuing companies, as soon as possible

Titles to deeds

Records department of the locality in which the property is located

Stocks and bonds

Issuing company or your broker


Your lawyer

Medical records

Your doctor


Issuing company

Income tax records

The IRS Center where filed or your accountant

Citizenship papers

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Prepaid burial contract

Issuing company

Animal registration papers

Humane Society

Mortgage papers

Lending institution