Struck by Lightning: What to Do
People struck by lightning carry no electrical charge that can shock other people, and they can be handled safely.
- Medical attention is needed as quickly as possible.
- Call for help.
- You or someone else should call 911 or your local emergency medical services (EMS) number.
- If breathing has stopped, begin rescue breathing.
- If the heart has stopped beating, a trained person should give CPR.
- If the person has a pulse and is breathing, look and care for other possible injuries.
- Where the lightning struck the person and
- Where the electricity left their body.