Protection Against Mosquitoes
Large amounts of pooled water after a flood or other natural disaster could
lead to an increase in mosquito populations. The majority of these mosquitoes
will be pests and will not carry communicable diseases. After many storms and natural disasters, some of these tips are very difficult to do, but it's a
start. Here are some mosquito
- Mosquitoes are most active at sunrise and sunset
- Local, state, and federal health authorities will be actively working to
control the spread of any mosquito born diseases.
- For protection against mosquitoes, use screens on dwellings and wear long
sleeved and long legged clothing.
- DEET; be sure to read all instructions before using DEET.
Insect repellents containing DEET are very effective.
Care must be taken when using DEET on small children.
Products containing DEET are available at retail outlets and local and state
- To control mosquito populations, drain all standing water left in containers
around your home.